Nearly a week after eight serial blasts rocking throughout Sri Lanka, security forces killed four suspected Islamic State gunmen during an overnight raid, as reported by news agency Reuters. Unfortunately, a civilian was also killed in the crossfire between terrorists and security forces. The officials had also discovered bodies of 15 people, including six children, during cleaning operations.
The gun battle near Sainthamaruthu in Ampara began Friday night after Sri Lankan police tipped off soldiers to a suspected safe house, where militants is said to be hiding. The militants set off three explosions and opened fire, the military said. Three others were wounded in the attack. The military also says Sri Lankan forces have recovered explosives, detonators, “suicide kits,” military uniforms and Islamic State group flags during the raids that they conducted.
President Maithripala Sirisena told reporters some Sri Lankan youths had been involved with ISIS since 2013. He said information uncovered so far suggested there were 140 people in Sri Lanka involved in ISIS activities. “Around 70 are arrested, we will arrest them all very soon ending this (terror),” he said.